Back in October I shared a post here on my Butterflies quilt and this week I was able to quilt it up and even get the binding on! The pattern is by Laundry Basket Quilts and I used batik fabrics from my stash. I think a lot of them were from the Paint Box Batiks and Over the Rainbow batiks collections. Once I had the blocks done I debated about appliqueing the butterflies down or just quilting them down. I know I would be happier if I did machine appliqued so took that extra time to do just that and I’m very happy I did. I used a smoky invisible thread and a blind hem stitch. I also started to hand embroider the antenna on but stopped, picked that out and borrowed a brown permanent marker from a friend to draw them on. Very happy I did that too. Seems I’m starting to learn to listen to my gut about where to take short cuts and when to spend the extra time on my quilting projects.
For the quilting I SID around the butterflies and their body and added the feather details to the wings at the same time, only one start stop on each butterfly. I wasn’t sure at first how to quilt the background…should I just use a meander, loops, swirls….or pebbles! I have been pebbling a lot of quilts lately and that can take a toll on my back ( which I’m paying for today) but this was a small quilt and I knew it would really make those butterflies pop off the background if I did. So I listened to the inner voice again even though I didn’t want too at first. I used Quilters Dream Blend batting and a light beige So Fine thread.
You can really see how the pebbling make the butterflies stand out in the next picture.
Here is a close up picture of my machine applique to show you the stitch I used. I prefer the blind hem stitch as it works great on curves. I used to use as zig zap stitch but it can look messy on tight curves.
I haven’t made that many quilts for myself this year, my ‘Year in Review” will be quiet short so I’m hoping to finish up a few more in the next week or two.