Friday, December 16, 2011

My Turn....Mystery Quilt #14


I spent the whole week quilting my Mystery quilt and the hardest part was deciding what to do.  At first I wasn't sure who I was going to give this quilt too but once I decided the design ideas started to flow. I find it so much easier to plan the quilting designs when I know who is getting the quilt, I like to personalize my quilting and make it suit the recipient.



As you can see there is lots of CC's (continuous curves) in the background.  I just marked a grid using my Bohin chalk pencil and my Gadget Girls ruler and used that as my guide.


The chalk just rubs off with a piece of fabric.


I used black Bottom Line in the bobbin for the whole quilt as I wanted the back to have a whole-cloth look.  So when I was quilting the stars with yellow thread I decided to just quilt straight lines so I had better control of the tension on the back. That worked well and any spots of yellow on the backing, like at the stops and starts, I just got out a Sharpie marker and colored them black. I would never do this on a clients quilt, but since this is mine why not!   I think of it as quilt 'make-up'!!


I quilted the outside border with the "Echo Curves" design using a boomerang ruler.
I used black batting so no bearding on the back.


I only had one little panic moment with this quilt and that was went I realized I was running out of black So Fine thread for the top and didn't have a second cone!!!   A quick call to my dealer... my thread dealer and she got it into the mail for me right away :)


We have had more snow fall this week so I have been getting my exercise shoveling the rink.
I still have the binding to sew on but hope to get that done this weekend and then can bring it to our guild meeting on Tuesday for Show and Tell.


I think my son will get a lot of use out of this quilt one day.
That's why there are no feathers on it  :)

14 comments:

  1. Love this quilt. The gold/yellow stars really shine in the sun. Your quilting is amazing on this and I'm sure it will be loved lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I really love the CC for the background quilting. Of course I especially love the color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love your quilting. You always seem to find exactly what the quilt needs to let both the quilting and the piecing shine. My two kids (and me!) are rather envious of your rink and snow. Still brown and no ice here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is really special. Your quilting is beautiful and well designed. It compliments the top perfectly. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!!! I just love the quilting!!!! The back looks just as stunning. Reversible. I love all the curved crosshatching. Your son is going to enjoy that quilt for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful work. I love your wonderful outside photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Desley... this quilt is really special. Your design work is perfect... a truly stunning quilt! G

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love new ideas! The quilting is stunning. I'm going to remember the black sharpie trick...I have a black backing planned for the future.
    I can totally relate to your extra exercise shoveling snow. Less guilt when I grab a handful of M&Ms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Kathy, I could tell already it was for a special person, it will be treasured!

    Beat Wishes
    Kay in Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Love the background Kathy! Those CC's are perfect! They look so cool! Okay, so how did you get them so perfect? I always cop-out and do the curvy CC's instead! Did you use a template to get the lines so perfect or are they freehand? Either way, beautiful job!
    www.piecefultimes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our guild just did a quilt with those CCs behind the applique, and it was done with a computer...this looks just like it! Great job again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats beautiful Kathy. Its so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy! Wow you did an awesome job with that....love...love the cc on the grid! You've inspired me so!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning! And that last picture should be on a calendar or something. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete