Monday, May 2, 2011

Train Quilt


It was my husbands birthday on Friday and I was happy to have his Train quilt finished in time.  A friend found the train themed fabric last year at a shop in Arizona called The Three Dudes... good to know if your looking for train fabric you just have to find a quilt shop owned by guys.   
I had no idea what pattern I was going to use to make the quilt as I didn't think I would ever find nice train fabric that wasn't designed for kids.  Once I got my GO cutter I found myself just cutting into the fabric using the 3 1/2" x6 1/2" rectangle die with no plan!!  Found some burgundy fabric in my possession but then realized I didn't have enough to finish the sashing.  So out comes some black fabric and voilĂ ..... strategically place rails down the quilt!   Plan B is always more creative than Plan A.



Still ice on the lake.


I tried to take pictures of the quilt in Tim's train room but that was trickier than I though.
I added the black curtains under his layout a few weeks ago...I store my batting under one side and Tims stores his hobby supplies under the other side so it hides the mess.


Here are a few shots of his layout, it is HO scale.  I have helped make a few trees and I even painted a few clouds on the wall.

6 comments:

  1. My kids would love that!!! The picture of the frozen lake and quilt is amazing! Good job on the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! The quilt looks just great! I must come visit it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilt is gorgeous! The train fabric is perfect! I love how you designed the sashing between the rectangles. You did such a beautiful job!

    Happy bday to your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes not having enough fabric makes a better design. I really like the two black 'train track' strips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy,you came up with a wonderful plan for the train fabric. Tim's birthday must have been very special for both of you. I really have enjoyed the peek into Tim's train room. Hope Friday was the start of a wonderful year for you, Tim. A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, I had no idea of how big Tim's Train Room was and it is amazing! A lot of detailed work has gone into building everything! Your birthday present to him was so perfect. Pass on my belated birthday cheers to Tim for a wonderful year! G

    ReplyDelete