Friday, February 14, 2014

Lug Nuts – Pattern Number 4!

lug12
Here it is….Highway 10 Designs fourth pattern and we are calling it Lug Nuts!   The PDF version is now in our Etsy shop and we hope to have the paper version within the month.    Lori and I decided to use the Little Black Dress 2 fabric collection for this one, I had shown this in a teaser post a few week ago.   We chose 3 ivory, 3 grey and 3 black fabrics for our quilt but you could choose any 9 fabric, 3 color combination you want.
dress
Here is our cover and it took me a long time to get the right shot as it has been so cold and windy!  I had to go chasing the quilt a few times too!   Also trying to lay a quilt out in the snow and not mess up the snow or get snow all over the quilt was another challenge.  But I got it!   :)
nuts
These are super-sized hexagons, the quilt finishes 82” by 88” and the hexagon measures 20” across and 18” top to bottom.  We though we would jump on the hexagon band wagon and give it a try.  We came up with a way of making hexagons without any Y seams and uses simple construction techniques.
lug2lug3
The only special tool you will need for this pattern is a 60 degree triangle ruler that is a minimum of 10”.  We used the Clearview Triangle Ruler but any brand this size should work.  I bet a lot of you have this type of ruler already and probably still in the original packaging!  Time to dust it off and give it a go!  :)
lug1
Lori came up with the idea to piece the backing with the leftover blocks and it adds to the modern feel.  I don’t usually like to piece my backing but have to admit I really like how this turned out and didn’t mind the extra work as it was my turn to make our sample !  Look at that, she might have just converted me!   Maybe I’ll make more of an effort to add interesting elements to my backing from now on! 
lug6  lug4
I quilted it using the Fascination pantograph, a light beige So Fine thread and Dream Blend batting.    It took some time to decide on the panto and since the scale of the hexagon are so large that helped in the final decision.  I chose Fascination because it is the largest scale panto I have and the simple swirls add a subtle texture.
lug9
You can see how large the hexagons are against the fence boards.  This quilt took me three days to piece and quilt, then two more days to bind so not a hard project if you have some quilting experience.  We also included detailed instructions and diagrams in our pattern on how to bind an irregular edge.
lug8
You will have to check out Lori’s post here.    She made a cute table runner using this pattern in beautiful blue batiks.  You’ll see it done in a different color combination and with beautiful custom quilting.

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations! As I love hexagons of all kinds, y seams or not, you know I really like this pattern. I am looking forward to seeing the cover sample soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! I just love this pattern and color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gourgeous quilt - I love the unusual edges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super!!! Back - laconic, fantastic!! Love this ))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this quilt - the front and the back. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The name caught all my attention. Perfect quilt for a son whose favorite expression is, "The one with the most lug nuts wins." Usually not a fan of neutral colors but this is lovely. Glad to see you discover the pieced backing. I usually incorporate something from the design into my backs. Think it adds a lot of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy: Absolutely stunning. Love the Little Black Dress 2 fabrics you used to create this quilt. Lug Nuts :) Great name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this pattern! I think I will have to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Really fabulous. I'm not on the hexie wagon but I can appreciate this fantastic design. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK. Lug Nuts is super fun!! Love the name. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great name and a very striking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those hexies are wonderful, and I love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The name is perfect! You've made so many great design decisions......the colour, the irregular border and the super-sized hexagons. I also love that you took the time to piece the back. For someone, like me, who wants to make a hexagon quilt, someday, this would be a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice Kathy!! Love those colors and the panto chosen is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic, and as somebody who has to photograph her big quilts outside I am most impressed with your quilt wrangling capabilities!

    ReplyDelete