Sunday, November 1, 2015

City Slicker–Pattern Number 7

cs15

Lori and I are very happy to announce we have published our seventh pattern for Highway 10 Designs, introducing City Slicker!   This is our first Jelly Roll friendly pattern and it can be made in two sizes depending on how many strips your jelly roll contains.   The PDF version is now available in our Etsy shop here and the paper version will be available in a couple of weeks.   We had a lot of fun with this pattern and at our retreat in Swan River a few weeks ago we had a “Name our Quilt’ contest.   There were a lot of great ideas and some that really made us laugh, I didn’t realize how competitive some of our quilting friends were too!  We didn’t go with any of the suggestions but that process was very eye opening as to how others see a quilt pattern. It is great to have a different perspective and that can open up new ideas.

  We took pictures of our cover quilt in Swan River at their museum as it was the perfect backdrop for this City Slicker.

logo cover 2

Lori pieced and quilted this sample and we both felt this quilt is perfect for light custom quilting.   Lori came up with a great quilting design using curved rulers that filled in the rectangular space beautifully.    You can see more pictures of this quilt on Lori’s blog and read her story here.    Lori used a batik Jelly Roll by Hoffman Fabrics called Tide Pool and a light batik for the background.

cs12

The next two pictures highlight the quilting designs.  It was a cloudy day for our photo shoot but there was no wind or rain so we made it work as we only had a day together to get the job done.

cs13

cs12

cs8

I also made a sample of City Slicker and used a Jinny Beyer RJR batik strip bundle in the Fire colour way that I purchased from Crafty here.    This bundle repeats each fabric three times so there was less of a variety of colours in my quilt.  The background fabric is a light batik fabric.   I used Quilters Dream Blend batting and did light custom quilting on mine as well.   I quilted swirls in the background and did a diamond with feather motif in the rectangles.  The whole quilt is stitched in the ditch.   I was working hard to get this one done before all the fall colours in my yard blew away.  It looked so pretty surrounded by the fall leaves.

cs1cs5cs3

Now to our last sample.  While Lori and I were at Fabriculous in Swan River for our retreat we offered to sew a sample for Wendy’s shop as she is a wonderful supporter of our patterns.    Wendy chose a Moda Jelly Roll by Zen Chic called For You and a grey background.  Wendy is now an APQS longarm dealer and quilted her sample with a circle panto using Quilt Path, the computer system for APQS machines.  So if you live in the Swan River area and would love to quilt your own quilts on a longarm please contact Wendy to set up an appointment to take the Certification class to be able to rent her machines.  I’m so excited for her new venture and who knows maybe I will be teaching a few longarm classes there in the future! 

wendy2wendy1

I’m working on a scrap version of this quilt with leftover batik strips that I have been saving for a few years.  I think this pattern will look just as nice as a scrap quilt as it does made from a fabric collections.

15 comments:

  1. Great pattern, it looks fabulous in all three versions. Love how you and Lori quilted your versions

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the versions of your new pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern, you guys! Each one of these samples is so pretty in it, too. Very interesting how much different the pastel looks from the others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this quilt pattern! And it looks great in all the samples you've shown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new pattern. I picked out my jellyroll (two juniors) at the retreat on the weekend and tucked them away with a City Slickers label. All the samples are awesome. I am sure there are going to be many wonderful quilts made from this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pattern and love the quilting both you and Lori did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wimped out on the name.........!! Really like the pattern, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pattern!! Each colourway looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love! I'll be ordering the paper copy when its available!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pattern. It looked wonderful in all the samples.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the different fabric options so that you can see how it can work with any fabric

    ReplyDelete