Monday, April 29, 2013

Hugs and Kisses Quilt Finished

 hugs1

I finished my Hugs and Kisses quilt which is a pattern by Jaybird.    The fabric collection is called Terrain and I used a 12 fabric fat quarter bundle along with Kona white for the background to make this twin size quilt.     I decided to try something different with this modern style quilt and use Dream Puff , a high loft batting, and lighter quilting as these quilts are usually finished with dense quilting and thinner batting.  But I needed this quilt to be soft and cuddly as it is a gift for a 14 year old girl who will use it as a couch quilt for watching movie in her newly decorated `teen hangout`room in their basement.  

hugs2 hugs3

I quilted free hand flower motifs in the white diamond shapes and then added straight lines in the busy prints to highlight the lattice design in this pattern.   When I took the quilt down to the dock this morning to get some picture I noticed a funny pattern on the ice.  It seems my footprints from the day I took pictures of my Mod Pop quilt had iced up and resisted yesterdays melt so they stand out like big mushrooms!!

hugs4 hugs5

The bright orange flannel for the backing worked out so well and will make this a very warm quilt. 

hugs7hugs8

The ice has been a great backdrop this winter ( and spring) and keeps surprising me with great photo opportunities!

footprints

24 comments:

  1. when i see those footprints i now understand why my father always said not to snowmobile on the hayfields, it would kill the hay due to ice...the quilt is wonderful and bright in its environment out there on the ice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy: What a big happy quilt. Awesome for watching movies! And a flannel backing... bestest comfy quilt ever. The colours are beautiful. You have such a gift!
    By the by, what do you think of this season's Dr Who? So far our family is still going, "Hummm".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilting, Kathy! Love the flowers mixed with the straight lines. Good to hear you're finally getting some melting. We went to our cabin on Lake Winnipeg yesterday and the water is still frozen solid...guess we won't be going in on May long weekend!

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this one. I like all of yours, but I like the lighter quilting, the intersecting straight lines and I love the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Striking quilting! The ice footprints are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great! gosh my husband is mowing the lawn tonight, it's down to weekly mowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the quilting on this one. Simple is very effective. Should I call you "Big Foot" from now on? Cool picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is wonderful and definitely looks soft and cozy. I LOVE the pictures of the foot prints, makes it look like the quilt is floating on water. Beautiful quilt, beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with many of the other ladies...something about the simplicity of the quilting makes this quilt very welcoming! I like to use the dream batting for gift quilts...many folks expect "puffy" when then get a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Дуже подобаеться ковдра!!!
    А фото казкові, ваш лід розтанув і кодра лежить на воді :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilt, Kath! I really like the "modern" style of quilting you used on this one and your precision freehand, it is very cool! The ice is still gorgeous, changing with the seasons, so fun to watch. Your footprints are amazing. We are expecting snow tomorrow....sigh....heard areas west of us got 10cm. Sheeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love how you quilted this and as always your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the strong quilting lines in this. Really brings out the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous! I like the idea of using a loftier batting. I think I may take that idea for the next quilt I make, which is for ME! I want it to be fluffy and cozy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful! And the quilting is just fabulous! Thanks for sharing what batting you used -- I've been looking for a loftier batting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a gorgeous quilt! I love the bright color and your quilting

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cool pattern. The one in the ice also! lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a terrific pattern and your quilting makes it even nicer. Love the orange on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous quilt:) I also like the backgrounds you've used... I really like the birches in the first picture...very nice view.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, love, love your Hugs and Kisses Quilt. Where did you find the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the pattern in our guilds library! :)
      It is a Jaybird pattern and you can find it for sale on her site.

      Delete
  21. you have inspired me to make another quilt

    ReplyDelete