Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Seasonal Banner


I started this project at the last guild retreat in November and finally got around to finishing it this week.  My husband bought this kit for me for my birthday last year and I just love it.  They are 12" wide and 40" long.


Since it has a very modern feel to it I didn't want to add binding so I faced it. If you have never done this here is the link I used to learn how face a quilt. Facing Tutorial

I also want to show you two tools I used to quilt the banners.  First is my SimFlex Expanding Sewing Gauge that you can find in any sewing notion store.  It is usually used for marking pleats and button holes but I like to use if for marking Cross Hatching or any evenly spaced quilting design.


The second tool is a set of longarm rulers for Cross Hatching.  I bought these at Topper Quilt Tools.
They are great of any diagonal line work you have to do and they attach to your leveler bar on your longarm.


Now I have been working on a secret project and am almost ready to reveal it but not just yet.  This is a very exciting project for me and think worthy of including a Giveaway along with its reveal.   Hummm...I wonder what I could giveaway? I think I'll just sit here and think about it, I'm sure something will come to me.   :)

12 comments:

  1. I really liked these banners when you were working on them last fall and love how you finished them! The no binding is just perfect! now where are you going to hang them?? E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat banners! Do you by any chance remember the name of the kit? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great! The quilting is perfect! Can't wait to see what you have a stirring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy your banners are wonderful, but I think even cooler is the fact that your husband gave them to you! Love the tools and thank you for the where to get notes...thank you thank you!! Beautiful sitting and thinking spot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your banners are beautiful! I especially like your idea using the expandable sewing gauge to mark for crosshatching. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, I'd like to know where to get the pattern for these banners. I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your banners are simply stunning!!! You have very unique ways of completing your quilt designs. Hummm...I wonder what your big surprise is... :)... G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!
    Mary the pattern was from Quilter's Jewel in Morden Manitoba but it changed hands in August and is now Quilter's Den. Here is the link to the new store. http://quiltersden.ca/ They have a toll free number and the pattern is called Contemporary Seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kathy, will you adopt me! I just love the banners, I called the quilters den and she is hooking me up with the patterns!! Everything you do just rocks!!! Again just love your blog!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen, Great to hear you could get the pattern still. I just hung the banners in my guest room so pack your bags and bring your stash...your new room is ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. SECRET PROJECT!!!!*\o/*

    ReplyDelete
  12. What treasures! The four season banner and the expanding gauge tool are genius! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete