Saturday, July 4, 2015

Hazy Days

pop2
We are living in a smoke filled hazy these days from all the forest fires in Canada right now.  Nothing close to cause concern but I noticed we are now getting fine ash bits on our deck and patio furniture!  The smoke smell is quite strong today so I’m hoping we will get rain soon.    Since it is not very enjoyable outside I found time to quilt up a simple batik quilt I pieced at one of our guild UFO days a few months ago.  I used a Bali Pop called River Rock and mixed in an neutral Island Batiks jelly roll to give it this colour way. The pattern is called Popsicle Sticks.

pop3pop4pop1
I also tried a new panto called Northwinds and I really like it.  Beige So Fine thread, Quilters Dream Blend batting and Stonehenge wide backing.

pop6
You can really see the smoke in this next photo….cough, cough! 
  
pop5
The sun has been a red glow in the sky all week.

pop7
I found a great online source to track the forest fires, it is called Canadian Wildlands Fire Information System, here is the link.

fires
You can zoom in on the map in the link and find out the conditions in your area.

fires2

6 comments:

  1. Great maps and source for fire danger, hope all are safe. Lovely design and choice of fabrics on your popsickle sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt has such beautiful, subtle colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can see the haze from the fires in your photos. I hope all of you get much needed rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pardon my language, but Holy Crap! That's a lot of active fires. My goodness, it appears everything is burning up! We live in the mountains of south central Idaho and have been getting smoke, Maybe from Washington, but who knows. Stay safe and we'll hope for a heavy snow year ahead! P.S. Your quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt. I live in northern Wisconsin and we have smoke from Canadian forest fires. The sun is hazy just like your picture. No pretty sunsets lately. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I sure hope all of Canada gets a good rain soon! The quilt is certainly pretty, and I like the new panto. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete