Thursday, November 20, 2014

Lug Nuts #1

lug7

I finished my Lug Nuts quilt this week, just in time to share for Sew Sisters Blogathon Canada!    If you are new to my blog and visiting from Lori’s Night Owl and Dyeworks, I welcome you to northern Manitoba!  I am a longarm quilting that also designs quilt patterns with my good friend Lori, we call our design company Highway 10 Designs.   We have an Etsy shop and are also very excited to have Sew Sisters carry our patterns in their shop!    Hope you have time to check out my blog and all the tutorials on my sidebar.  I love quilting with batik fabrics and also dyeing fabric, especially snow dyeing since we have snow 6 months of the year. 

lug6

I started this quilt back in August when I taught a Lug Nuts class at our local guild.  I loved seeing all the different fabrics the guild members were using for their quilts and I know a few might be coming my way to quilt so I’m excited about that.

lug14

I used all batik fabrics, Quilters Dream Blend batting and blue So Fine thread.  The pantograph design is called Allium and added a soft curvy texture to the angular piecing.

lug10lug5

Just like we showed in the pattern I pieced the backing with the extra triangle pieces. I usually don’t like to piece my backing but Lori was right, it does look great and was worth the extra effort! 

lug16

The lake ice is now about 8” think as it as been very cold here for this time of year so it is building up quickly.   It makes a great backdrop for quilt pictures…when the wind isn’t blowing!

lug3

You can see some of the paths and rinks I have been clearing for my photographs.   I’m so happy the ice is so clear and smooth near the shore this year and hope it stays that way all winter.

lug15

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoy the rest of Blogathon Canada!

21 comments:

  1. That is SO beautiful!! Love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im shivering just looking at the pictures lol but I simply adore your quilt - Its really striking : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. your quilt looks so pretty with the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice quilt, be careful on the ice. Looks pretty where you are. Hi from New York.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo location! What a peaceful place to live. :) I saw your company name in a recent newsletter from Sew Sisters and I am now following your Etsy shop and both your blogs. So happy to have found you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you finished the sides...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, when you posted your first photo on the ice recently, I was amazed that it was already thick enough to stand on. But now winter is here too, it doesn't seem that strange!

    I love this quilt, it is a great design. Stay frosty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy, I am a huge fan of your work and your blog (in fact, you're one of my "Favourite Links" on the front page of my own blog (On the Tide)! Even though I read your posts all the time, thought I'd stop by on the Sew Sisters hop to say another hello! And also, have wanted to ask, what type of longarm machine do you quilt on? I am getting very serious about making the investment, and love your quilting - so thought I would ask.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in *love*. :D I loved the pattern in the first place, but these blues - right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello from central bc…where it is freezing rain at the moment…no snow…love that blue lug nuts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice quilt. It looks just beautiful against the snow ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. Turned out just beautifully! Does this mean i get to keep the cover quilt since you have your own???

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quilts! I also love the scenery in your photos. The colors against the snow and ice is awesome. Thanks for sharing, I do so look forward to your posts. I'm fascinated by your snow dying as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kathy - beautiful quilt, I love the blues. and your "ice" paths look really interesting. Why do you clear more than one space for showing your quilts? Seems like a lot of work, and I'm kind of lazy!
    My new new toy is on its' way! I had a guy here this morning to haul away a bunch of stuff from my basement to make room for it, so I'm getting really excited. I'm going to make my whole basement my quilting "studio". So, I'll have lots of room down there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Lug Nuts quilt turned out great! The ice is amazing, how smooth it is! Hope it stays that way for your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilt!!! I even love the back. Greetings from Bismarck ND USA on the Canadian blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It really is so pretty and the snow is the perfect backdrop for those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just beautiful! Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete