Monday, August 24, 2015

Getting my Groove Back!

star2

 

I was cleaning out my sewing area the other day and pulled out some stars I made a few months ago using a set of rulers called Tri Recs.  I had made 12 twelve inch star blocks from bright batiks that I had in my stash and decided to sash them with 2” finished squares.  I then added a 5” finished white border of the same background fabric that is in the stars.   No pattern, I was just playing.   I loaded it on my longarm yesterday with a quilting plan in mind and got it finished this morning.  I haven’t touched my longarm in over a month and a half so it was good to feel motivated to quilt again.  Yes I made another quilt I do not need and it feels good!

star1star3

I sketched out a quilting plan for the blocks and I knew I wanted a circle to be a secondary design element in the blocks.  I was inspired by a quilt I saw on Esther’s blog awhile ago here

star4

I used a 15” arc ruler to make the circle and the rest was free hand.  I used white So Fine thread in all the white fabric and Mono-Poly on the bright batiks.   I CC’s the squares and the stars and did a feather swirl in the outer border.  The batting is Quilters Dream Blend.

star5star6

I used a solid white backing to show off the quilting and used white Bottom Line thread in the bobbin.

star7star8star9

Now I have to decided on a binding, I want it to be colourful and maybe even piece it with scraps of fabric used in the quilt.

star11

I feel like I’m slowly getting my quilting groove back.  I have a few guild quilts I might put on the machine next.

star10

17 comments:

  1. So pretty and bright! I always appreciate that you take the time to tell us your thread and batting choices, even Panto names.
    Glad you're back to sewing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that quilt!!! Stars are always a fave but this one is definitely a total winner!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have those TriRecs rulers too, love those stars and I have used them a lot. Your brights are so cheery and fun. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt and the quilting. Would never have thought to create circles in the star blocks. I need a star quilt now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice bright quilt. Good job on piecing and quilting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the bright colours - and of course your quilting is exquisite as always. I'm glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Wonderful the way the blocks pick up the star colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is absolutely spectacular! Interested to see what binding you'll use .....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it and it sounds like you are ready to get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are getting your mojo back! I know how it feels when it is gone. Live the brightness of this one and your secondary circle design just keeps the eye moving, while pulling it all together. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous quilt - the quilting is magnificent, and the color combination is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your quilt, it really sparkles! Beautiful quilting too!

    ReplyDelete