Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Alternate Routes….Our First Pattern!

pattern cover2

I’m thrilled to be able to share my latest quilting venture which is a collaboration with my amazing friend Lori.   Alternate Routes is our first original quilt pattern and is now on sale in PDF form in our new ETSY shop hereAlternate Routes  was a project we designed for our respective guilds and we knew that we needed to take this one step further.   So we spent the last month polishing and rewriting the pattern until we were satisfied with the final results.   This is an intermediate level pattern and hope that those who try it find our instructions to be clear and precise.   The best part about this pattern is that we include 20 different layout options but there are many more layouts to discover. 

low sun font banner  - black

It took us awhile to come up with a name for our new design business and when Lori suggested Highway 10 Designs I knew we had a winner.  You see Highway 10 is the one and only road I travel along (for 575km) when I go to visit Lori in Dauphin, it’s what connects us.  This also gave us focus for coming up with a name for our pattern and once we had the travel theme in our head Lori again came up with the perfect pattern name Alternate Routes, as this pattern offers so many layout options.  I just love it when things fall in place so well.

Here is Lori’s quilt and she used more modern fabrics and picked an off centered layout. You can see more of her pictures on her blog here.

alternate routes cover

Since the focus of the pattern is the piecing we both used panto designs for our quilting.   I used Whirlygig as it complimented the print in the batik fabrics.

alternate5 alternate6

I found a new location for taking pictures at the new cook shack at the local campground.  I was also trying to get a good picture on Highway 10 but that proved to me more difficult than I first thought.

alternate7alternate3routes5

And here is the one we chose for the cover.

alternate1

A big thank  you goes out to Desley and Eileen for proof reading our pattern, we really appreciated the time you both spent helping us.   I think this is a start into a new venture for Lori and I as we are already talking about the next pattern!  :)

25 comments:

  1. This is so exciting!! Congratulations to you both.. I'm thrilled to hear of your next set of adventures....well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I love the theme and title and its significance. You know I wish you and Lori all the best with your new venture.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled with your newest endeavor and love the pattern. I'm checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you, and so excited for you too! The quilts you made is stunning, and with so many options with one pattern, it will make this a fun journey watching all the different quilts that will be made. I'm for sure buying this pattern, and can't wait to get time to make it!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...love the Business name, love the Quilts, Congratulations to both of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! What a beautiful quilt - I can't wait to make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very exciting-you have the whole package (designing, quilting branding, marketing, etc)! Congratulations!Love it, love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely quilt! I think both colours are super and congrats on bringing a dream to life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous quilt! Love the business name and how it joins you together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! It's a great idea! I wish you good luck! You - a great quilter! This ppavda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You - a great quilter! It's true! :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, love this quilt! Congrats on your new venture:)
    LauraT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Kathy and Lori on your new business venture. Amazing quilt and awesome business name. I sure hope you create a quilt called "Pot Holes on Hwy 10" :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is beautiful. Question though, I went to your etsy site to purchase the pattern. The deminsions are listed in metrics, is the pattern also in metrics. I am from the US and we do not use the metric system, although I can convert it, I wanted clarification. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been looking for a pattern to highlight my snowdyed fabric with large spaces of unpieced work but still have places with smaller piecework. this one fill the ticket. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats Girls!! Love everything about it....design...company name....pattern name...everything. Way to go

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! How exciting! Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Robin - The pattern has both metric and imperial measurement for the fabric requirements. Lori just added the imperial measurements to the ETSY description page so there is no confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this quilt! Cannot wait to see what mine is going to look like. Congrats on your new endeavour Kathy and Lori! Looking forward to seeing lots more beautiful patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is gorgeous! Congratulations! Beautiful pattern!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely awesome! So excited for you, I know how hard you've worked for this! Congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So proud of you, my friend! Congrats to both you and Lori. I'm off to read my pattern through. (((((Hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its a gorgeous pattern but way too time consuming for me right now.Me and HST's don't play well together lol! Will keep up with the patterns you design. And your quilting is...fabulous!!!! Amie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! Beautiful pattern and so many options with the pattern ... Congratulations on a job well done! It's gone onto my favorites to buy :)

    ReplyDelete