Thursday, April 4, 2013

Urban Nine Patch

 sandra7

This is Sandra’s Urban Nine Patch quilt and you can find the pattern designed by Jenny Pedigo here.   It is made using the Quick Curve Ruler and if you have followed my blog for awhile you know I love this ruler and have made quite a few quilts with it including this pattern.   Sandra asked that I quilt it exactly like Jenny did on her pattern as that is what drew her to this pattern and to purchasing the ruler.   So here is a link to Jenny’s post where she shows how she quilted it as that is exactly what I did.   The only difference is that Sandra added a 3” outer border so I just extended and recreated the designs with the quilting to pretended it didn’t have a border. 

sandra2 sandra3

When I started quilting this one I was a bit overwhelmed by all the ruler work as I don’t usually quilt this heavily and was thinking Jenny was a bit crazy!  ;)   But as I kept going and saw the results it made me want to work on it more and more as I loved how it was turning out!  I always had an appreciation for quilters that can do such detailed work but now I have an every better appreciation for the work they do as this took me three full days to complete.

sandra4

Sandra asked me to dye her a backing and we decided on yellow.   I used Aqua So Fine thread on top and a light Aqua Bottom Line on the back.  The batting is Quilter’s Dream Blend.

sandra5 sandra6

Love how the quilting looks on the back!

sandra1

Those little petals in the nine patch were a lot of fun to do!  Thanks for the inspiration Jenny!

37 comments:

  1. Holy Smokes, Kathy! You did an amazing job on this quilt!!!! I am just blown away, I would be permanently cross-eyed if I tried that. LOL! You get the Super Duper Quilter Award! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! what amazing quilting you did on this quilt...love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job Kathy. That is some dense quilting...but looks very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you did an amazing job! Looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this is absolutely fantastic. The colors of the quilt are great and your quilting - wow. This turned out great!
    Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - Beautiful.... what a lot of work. You should be so Proud at the end of each quilt. Amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm exhausted just thinking about doing that! I really like how you handled the border. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm tearing up right now...seriously! Oh...I love it so much and your quilting is EXACTLY the same!! ....and yes I was a little crazy when quilting that...I'm always a little crazy! ;o) Good job Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love how you quilted this one. The spirals in the squares, the straight lines, and the center medallion are all perfect. Ruler work does take patience, but the results are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. another amazing project - I loooove these colours together and it's great to see all of the straight lines in the quilting, such a refreshing change!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazy=Awesome!! I love Sandra's fabric choices, and Kathy the quilting looks great. I kinda like ruler work, it is the freehand stuff that gets me, anyway great job!!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that looks amazing. When I grow up I want to quilt just like you!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy, that is a jaw-dropper! LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely Stunning! Thank you so much for always sharing your quilting design/pattern,batting, thread, etc. Your willingness to share has been most valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous. Worth all that ruler work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it,!
    Just exactly what I wanted.
    Beautiful job,
    See you Saturday at quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on the quilting and love the colors of the quilt! It all works together:)
    LauraT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks just awesome!!!!!!! Love the fabric that you dyed on the back. Perfect color and adds so much to the quilt. Quilting is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just beautiful. I always love visiting your site and seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow!! That is just stunning. I might have already commented, becuase I had to look again and again - so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kathy, the patterns created by your quilting are so eye-catching! This quilt is lovely. I wish I could see it and the backing fabric in person!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kathy: An absolutely stunning quilt and quilting. Wow! How did you get the straight lines all so straight?! Taking the quilting out into the border area was fantastic. You have such wonderful insight and inspiration.
    Even though you said you quilted exactly like Jenny, it is amazing the way each quilter adds their own selves into the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Goodness, Kathy, that's just spectacular! You did an amazing job with the quilting! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! An amazing amount of quilting and so beautiful! You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! You did an incredible job on this, I love the piecing and pattern, but your quilting is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I found you on Pinterest Kathy. So glad I did, your stitching is beautiful. I featured this post on Craft Gossip here,
    http://quilting.craftgossip.com/tamarack-shack-stitches-curved-nine-patch/2013/04/07/

    With regard,
    Scarlett Burroughs
    Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this one even better than Jenny's! The backside too, Just yummy. So much ruler work, bet your back was aching after this one. As always, your quilting takes the top to a new level of beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW!!!! Stunning! It looks soooo great! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE THIS QUILT. You did a great job quilting it.

    ReplyDelete