Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Adele’s Star Quilt

 adele1
I had the honour of quilting this very special quilt this week.  It was pieced by Adele who was a local guild members that passed away in December.  Adele had an amazing ability to create quilts from her scraps that looked fabulous.  Her eye for color was admired by all her friends and I was always drawn to her quilts at every quilt show. I would study them and try to figure out how she could combine fabrics that I would never think to put together and make them look great!  She also was very skilled at hand appliqué and hand quilted most of her quilts.   She was a very modest lady who didn’t understand why we would fuss over her quilts, a true sweetheart to all that knew her.  Her presences is greatly missed at our meeting.
adele2 adele3
Adele had not completed the appliqué on this top so her good friend Marg finished the remaining work so Adele’s children could have another heirloom quilt from their mother.   
I quilted free hand 3’s and E’s in the center across the stars and the CC’d the HSTs.  I then SID around the appliqué and stippled the background.
adele5
adele6 april snow

We woke up to more snow today just after all Sundays snow melted. This would be a pretty picture if it wasn't April.

19 comments:

  1. it is a pretty picture, yes it should not be snowing like this in april...we also had a huge snow fall about 10 days ago...about 14 inches...it is melted now and spring appears to be here...whoot whoot...the quilt is so beautiful...such a nice gift to recieve from you mother and her friends that finished it up for here

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is lovely. Very nice of her friends to finish it for the Family. Kudos to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice quilt - I think a lot of people that do not make scrap quilts over think what goes into scrap quilts - most of us that make scrap quilts do not put a lot of thought into color - we just grab fabric and put it together - lights with darks, prints with solids ect. That is so nice that you quilted it and someone finished the applique for the family to have another quilt -- good friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved Adele's quilts, her had applique amazed me. she did such a beautiful job. You did a beautiful job quilting it Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful quilt and your quilting is lovely. I always look forward to seeing your work. Sorry about the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Вот это красота! Я балдею!!!))

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt turned out just beautifully! Good job to both Marg and you for completing it. I was always in awe the color choices Adele would make. And I agree her applique skills were extraordinary. She will always be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a poignant story. You did a really lovely job with this quilt. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is really beautiful - as is your quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful job with Adele's quilt Marg and Kathy. Adele inspired me to find time to hand quilt and hand applique in a world where machine work seems to becoming increasingly more popular. I miss her quite manner and modesty so much. I am glad her quilt has been finished for her children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scrappy quilts are my absolute favourite. This one is so very pretty and lovingly finished. Another heirloom for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful story and tribute. The quilting complements the quilt beautifully! I love the whole thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beauty! Bummer about the snow though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry about the snow. Beautiful quilt, beautiful story, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy: What a wonderful way to remember a friend! And what a great memory for the family to have -- their Mom's last quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a special quilting job. Her family will cherish this beautiful quilt. So special! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just discovered your great blog!!! I love free hand 3’s and E’s. Do you know of a tutorial or instructions that might be available for quilting these? I do not own a long arm machine and quilt using a home sewing machine.

    Thanks again for sharing your wonderful quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pam - if you send me an email I can send you a diagram I drew of the 3's and E's pattern. You can use it to practice drawing the design, once it is in your head it is easier to quilt.

    tamarackshack1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete