Monday, October 15, 2012

Chevron Baby Quilt

swirl4

I have been taking an online quilting class on Craftsy called Quilting Negative Space and the teacher is Angela Walters.  This is the first class I have taken on Craftsy and I like that you can watch the lessons at your own pace when you have time.  The main reason I took this class was to learn Angela’s swirl design, I love how it has a layered look.

swirl3

Since I don’t like to practice quilting on a solid piece of fabric I quickly pieced a very small baby quilt with my batik scraps this weekend.  I love how the swirls turned out, they are fast and fun to quilt up!  I then just stitched straight lines in the bright batiks to balance with the busy swirls. This also allows the swirls to be the focus.

swirl6

  I’m putting the binding on right now so I hope to have it ready to bring to our guild’s Show and Tell tomorrow.  I found a bright green hand dyed fabric in my stash that was perfect…hope I didn’t dye this piece for a specific project because is used now!

21 comments:

  1. very nice Kathy. I'll be at MQX this week and taking Angela's class there. i'll post whatever pictures i can take at MQX on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to practice this design I think! It looks to be a really fun one:) Thanks for sharing and the quilt is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Kathy. I watched a video yesterday with Angela's swirls. Now I just need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your swirls! The quilt turned out so great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful! I can hardly wait to see it up close tomorrow. Scraps make such lovely quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful little quilt, Kathy.
    I was about to say you have a lot of patience since you made this quilt with HST then I read it is small. But still you have a lot of patience:) Beautiful quilting.
    I like this pattern, I made one with strips, it is also a great pattern for jelly rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, this is just stunning! I love the contrast between the swirls and the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful chevron quilt. Your quilting really makes it sing. I think you've mastered Angela's swirl design. It looks great with the angular quilting over the batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! Love how the quilting designs go together. I have bought several Craftsy classes and yes, it is great to be able to watch them whenever you want. There are several free ones too. C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely result, I think you've mastered Angela's swirls. I may just have to have a look at Craftsy and upskill myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chevron quilt really comes to life with the swirls and straight lines. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your quilt and the spiral quilting! What are your thoughts on the craftsy class? Worth doing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those swirls look fantastic!
    Angela is my fav quilter. I have her first book and can't wait for the second to come out.

    Cheers

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy

    Absolutely fabulous quilting (as always!). The swirls and lines give the Baby quilt real definition and makes those beautiful batiks pop! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always love the combination of lines and swirls and yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your quilting...always have. Very reminiscent of Jenny's at Sew Kind of Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a gorgeous little quilt. Your quilting looks fabulous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kathy, so nice , you have a knack for choosing quilting patterns that work well with the quilt tops.
    Ginka

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE this! Perfect choice of quilting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What were your unfinished size of the half square triangles?

    ReplyDelete