Wednesday, November 29, 2017

T-Shirt Quilt

lm1

This is Lucinda’s T-shirt quilt that she was made with her daughter Taylor’s sports T-shirts.  They represent all the teams, camps and cross fit gyms she has participated in since she was 13 years old.  What a great way to preserve those accomplishments and memories!  She asked for simple quilting so I used Fascination for the pantograph.

lm2

Lucinda brought a Navy Cuddle backing so I suggested we use Dream Puff batting to give the quilt a soft cozy feel and it would add less weight than the Blend batting.   I used Monopoly thread on the top and grey Bottom Line on the back. The reason I picked grey for the back was she added one extra T-shirt block to the back and I didn’t want the stitching to distract from the block by using Navy thread.  And with Cuddle you can never see the thread colour so it worked out great!

lm3lm4

The invisible Monopoly thread worked well across all the T-shirt logos.  There was some thread breakage due to the different thicknesses with the prints on the T-shirts but over all I would use that thread again on a quilt like this.  I have to be honest, this was the first T-shirt quilt I have ever quilted (and I have been longarm quilting for 9 years), so I was a bit nervous to finally quilt one.  But I was really lucky that Lucinda stabilized all the T-shirts well and that used sashing between the shirts. I have been told that T-shirt quilts quilt up nicely when they have sashing to stabilize the whole quilt.

lm5

6 comments:

  1. Great quilting pattern choice! Really compliments the shirts and the fabric. I've quilted at least two dozen t-shirt quilts over the past few years, sometimes they can be a challenge. A very light t-shirt stabilizer is a must, I won't quilt a top unless that is present. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the other fabric and sashing is a huge benefit. Lovely backing, what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of the nicest t-shirt quilts that I've seen. I like the layout. Your quilting is, as usual, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really nice job, and thanks for sharing pointers on how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out great - even better since it was your first T-Quilt!!

    ReplyDelete