Sunday, December 27, 2015

Freezing Bubbles


Since I live in a very cold climate it is good to find ways to amuse yourself when it gets down to -30c.  Today, with the help of my husband, we capture soap bubbles freezing.   I was fun to watching the ice crystals form and grow.  It happens quite quickly in these temperatures so was happy to get a few pictures. 




Now this was not my first attempt.  I tried earlier in the day with regular bubble soap, the kind you buy for blowing bubbles with kids, and that didn't work.  So I found a recipe online that worked great.   200ml of warm water, 30ml of white sugar, 35ml of corn syrup and 35ml of dish soap.

I was also able to capture one freezing on video so you can see just how fast this happens.  
Yes I am easily amused!!


11 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing! I've never tried, or even thought of, that! Of course, it would rarely work in Texas. Christmas day was 70+ F.; but today it is down to 40 F., with colder coming all week! Even so, I doubt we could freeze bubbles. What fun that must be! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like fun! We don't get that cold here, so I will just have to be entertained by yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I would have to get into the freezer to try that. Never cold enough here. Lovely fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gotta give this a try this winter

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is not being easily amused! That's great science. I'm sending this to my son to share with his kids. What a great lesson. Great pictures of states of mater! liquid to solid! lol - yes, I'm a retired kindergarten/1st grade teacher. Thanks for sharing your fun with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Northern Ontario and will have to try this. They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried this in a different year here in Virginia with middling results. Had to do it in the middle of the night for it to be cold enough. This year, it doesn't look like it will be even close to cold enough. We turned our A/C on Christmas day!

    ReplyDelete