Thursday, May 9, 2013

Curved Sashing Tutorial Without Center Seams

tut

Yesterday I spent some time working on the curved sashing for the Curve It Up quilt and I realized there was another way to do it.  I didn’t want to have a seam running down the center of the designs so figured out how to do it using one piece of focus fabric for each section.    Jenny did a great tutorial on how to do the curve sashing design,  you can find it here,  but thought I would share my version as I know a few of my readers are doing this Quilt Along too.

First cut a 5 1/2” square from the focus fabric and then cut 4 squares from the background fabric that are 2 5/8”.  Draw a diagonal line on the background squares and lay them on the 5 1/2” square as shown.

tut6

Then sew along the diagonal lines.   I like to stitch just off the line to the right as shown in the next picture.  This allows the final square to be exactly 5 1/2”.

tut2

Once all four sides are stitched, trim to 1/4” and press to the focus fabric. You should have a 5 1/2” square.

reduced1

Next is the curved section.   Cut a 4” x9” rectangle from your focus fabric and follow Jenny’s instructions for cutting the curve but cut on both sides of the rectangle.

reduced2

Then cut the background pieces following Jenny’s instructions and attached them to the focus fabric.

tut4

Then trim the curved block down to 5 1/2” x 8 1/2”, being careful to center the design and have the two ends of the focus fabric be around 3/8” wide at the outside edge.

tut

Here are the two pieces sewn together.  The focus fabrics should connect for a total of  about 3/4” at the seam creating a continuous border.  I did manage to dye 3 meters of grey background that matched my original fabric pretty well, yeah!  I hope I decide on a focus fabric color soon as I still have to dye that fabric and I really want to finished this project as I have really enjoyed it! 

tut3

9 comments:

  1. Sewing the sashing as a separate unit without seams through the middle is such a better method. I would have done it like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good without seems, thanks for sharing!
    Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...really! Now if we had just put our heads together before, I would have done your version for sure!! Do you mind if I share your final blocks with a link to your post? I'm sure others would love to do your version. Thanks Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am awed that you figured that out! I have my pieces cut already-that's what I get for trying to be on top of things!! thanks for sharing. I'm going to save your tutorial. I really like the look of this border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic Kathy!I have already done my sashing in a completely boring fashion, but I'll keep this method for next time!Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy--So glad to see your tutorial and method. Love the no seam way you devised. Always a way I try to go. This quilt is high on my list of want to dos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is sew nice. Thank you for sharing how you made this ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. love all your suggestion Kathy and to see your quilting

    ReplyDelete
  9. you always have such good suggestions. tks,

    ReplyDelete