Sunday, April 7, 2013

Terrain Hugs and Kisses

 hugs1

I was thinking the other day that I haven’t quilted ANY quilts for myself yet this year, so I have to fix that.   Yesterday our guild had a UFO day and I brought the blocks above, they are to make a Hugs and Kisses quilt by Jaybird.   I used one of the fabric fat quarter collections I won at our guild’s xmas party last year, Terrain.  Very modern colors, not my normal taste but I really enjoy working with different fabrics and colors, it’s good to get out of your box once in awhile.

hugs2

I was able to put the top together at the UFO day and when I got home and started to search for a backing I remembered I had the perfect fabric. 

hugs4

Can you believe this bright orange flannel was in my small stash and I had the right amount!  It was going to be a backing for a  Wheel of Mystery quilt that I did in bright colors but I changed on my mind and didn’t use it on that quilt.  I knew it would come in handy one day and 5 years later it did!  Good thing fabric doesn’t go bad :)

hugs3

No time to quilt this one now BUT I do have my Mod Pop quilt in my machine so I will get one of my own quilts quilted this month.   I have the background quilted just not sure how to handled the darker curved designs…hope to figure it out later today so I can share that one with you.

14 comments:

  1. Love the colours! The design is wonderful for them and I think the backing will be great - with such a late spring this year extra colour gives hope for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pattern in your quilt top! Gorgeous! Please do share more of your quilts:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty quilt. The colours are so cheery and the orange flannel will certainly keep you warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a terrific block pattern. And the fabrics are delish! Prints aren't my usual style yet seeing them sliced up like this in a scrappy setting, they look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful fabrics and a really interesting pattern!
    Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is really beautiful - and the pattern is very interesting, I have to bear it in mind for the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooo - That backing orange is really delectable with your top! LOVE this quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great, Kathy. I had been wondering what you would have been up to yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My exact sentiments Marie Costa. Makes me want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen this block either, but it sure looks great with your selection of charms. I think I will try this with my scrap stash. Thanks for posting the photos to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Kate Spain's fabric - always so vibrant. This is a great pattern for it. And what a bonus that you had enough of the orange flannel for a backing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this! I was thrilled to find a charm pack of this line recently - so fun. What a great pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this quilt top!!! Pretty colors combined with a very cool looking pattern. The colors aren't what I have in my home but I love them all the same!!!! Love the purples.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great top, Kathy! I just had to smile, as I was also thinking of doing a X's and O's quilt for my daughter, as we always end our messages to each other with XOXOXOXO. But the pattern I had been looking at the blocks seem more squat, while yours are stretched tall, and I really like the look. The fabrics are just terrific for this quilt. I agree, its fun to work with fabrics that you don't usually go to. Love the backing fabric too. Can hardly wait to see how you quilt this baby!

    ReplyDelete