Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SPCA Quilt


This quilt was made by our local guild and will be donated to the SPCA for a fundraising raffle.  Guild members made Pet Themed blocks and it took me a while to figure out how to approach quilting this quilt. I finally decided to write animal quotes in the outer border as it was a solid brown fabric and a great clean slate to write on.  Next was the center and felt the best way to blend all the work together on all the blocks was to use invisible thread and a very simple pantograph. I am very pleased with the results as it blended into each block and did not distract from the images.


Writing the quotes was a bit time consuming and that was mainly because I had to turn the quilt on my frame three times.  I wanted the writing to be read as you walked around a bed looking at the quilt.


Here are the quotes I picked, hope the guild and SPCA members like them.

-Animals eyes have the power to speak a great language
-The purity of a person's heart can be measured by how they regard animals
-Until one has loved an animal a part of ones soul remains unawakened.
-Animals are such agreeable friends and pass no criticisms.

8 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful Kathy! And the quotes are so appropriate! Yet again you have outdone yourself!I am sure the SPCA members will be pleased! E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply wonderful! The SPCA should be extremely pleased and this quilt should generate considerable funds. It is truly unique. A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, you have done an excellent job on this quilt! That is so thoughtful of you to take the time to come up with the quotes. A very unique quilt for the SPCA members to raffle. G

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, you have done a fantastic job on this quilt. I can hardly wait to buy tickets on it, would love to win it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the animal lovers will have to fight over this quilt, ha, ha. It's unique and as usual, Kathy, you add just the right touch. Lovely! C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, that quilt is great, please post the pictures on the APQS website!!!! I love your blog, I read it all the time but this is the first time I have left a comment! I have two dogs and a cat, I have never been without an animal for 35 years. Dachshunds are my favorite, I had three, but alas I only have one left.
    Regards,
    KarenH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys!! I can now breath a sigh of relief after reading all the great comments. Quilting a quilt for a group is more stressful than quilting for one person.
    Thanks for leaving a comment Karen, it's nice to 'meet' you and I posted the pictures at APQS like you suggested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely adorable and your quilting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete